Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Getting there... Frankfurt Airport

Since I've got some time to kill at the Frankfurt Airport I figured I'd update. I managed to squeeze all my stuff into my (now very overweight) suitcase, paid 2 arms and a leg for overweight fees at Pearson, had the best wings ever at the Caseys in terminal 1, and hopped on my fairly uneventful 8-hour flight to Frankfurt. I must say Lufthansa left a lot to be desired in terms of leg room...

Now I'm at my gate in Frankfurt after an epic journey through this terribly signposted airport. I also stopped along the way for the worst sausage and stalest pretzel ever. Last time I was at this airport I had the most dreadful Ostrich steak... but to be fair, it may have been a bit ambitious of me to expect good ostrich from an airport. Regardless, my Diet Coke, Yogurt-covered Pretzels, and Maynard's Juicy Squirts are keeping me satisfied, and the über-hottie customs agent helped to brighten my day as well...

I guess I'll also take this opportunity to elaborate a bit more on who I am and what I'm doing in Italy, mostly for the other YIIP interns reading this whom I have not yet met. I'm halfway through a communications & culture MA at York, with a focus on media and culture. I did my undergrad in a joint program between U of T and Sheridan college and graduated with an HBA in Visual Culture & Communications, with a minor in French. Also during my undergrad, I did some Italian courses and spent a summer in Florence attending a language school... which has led me to where I am today: interning in Italy!

My internship is with the Gori Collection of Site-Specific Art, located about 15 minutes outside of Pistoia, which is a 40 minute train ride from Florence. Most of what I know about the organization and my role there is from the website and some minimal communication with my contact there, so I'm not certain of what to expect! I do know that my job will involve giving lengthy walking tours of the impressive property and the fantastic art works there (and yes, I have to do the tours in both English and Italian... eek!). I'm super excited though, and I'm also pumped to meet the other intern I'll be working and living with, who arrives tomorrow from the USA.

Other plans for my time in Italy involve meeting up with some friends and family who will be in the area, soaking up the sun, reading for pleasure (feel free to give me book suggestions!), shopping, eating well, aaaand so so so much more!

For now though, I think I need to do some more Italian studying. A più tardi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment