Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Definition of Beautiful in Italy

So I guess it's time for another one of my required posts... I have to give the definition of beautiful "where I am".

The obvious answer that you're all expecting is "a leisurely afternoon with good friends and good wine". Which is true. But an unexciting answer.

The unpoetic yet extremely true answer (for Italian men at least) is "anything with a chest and a pulse". Even that seems to be a bit of a flexible guideline. The other day at the beach I rapidly became very ill (had a bit of a bug the last few days) and at one point I'm pretty sure I didn't have much of a pulse, but that didn't stop them...

The comical answer (for Italian women) is "sequined, rhine-stoned, cartoon character t-shirts". Seriously, they're the hugest fad right now. At least 50% of the females you see (young and old) are wearing them.

My personal answer is "getting to have some alone time with nature". I spent the last year living downtown Toronto for the first time and it's been really nice to be out in the middle of nowhere again (although I'd kill to be able to get delivery once in a while). As I've mentioned a billion times, this property is incredible, and it's especially magical late at night walking up the super long driveway surrounded by forest where fireflies flicker all over the place. It feels like thousands of tiny paparazzi snapping pictures of my epic return.

No comments:

Post a Comment