Sunday, July 31, 2011

Uggghhhhh Traaaiinnnns

Me after a quick standing nap with all my stuff in the train. Never thought I'd be capable of sleeping standing up. Apparently I was wrong.

What a brutal day. And its only 3pm.

My internship is officially over, and now the real adventures begin!

This morning Miranda drove me to the train station, where my journey began with my giant suitcase (I would estimate that it weighs well over 100lbs) and 5 other (also weighty) bags. 3 brutal train rides later I was at the Rome Fiumicino Airport. God Bless all the burly young men who helped me along the way. To put things in context... when my suitcase was standing up on all 4 wheels on a perfectly flat surface, I still needed to take a couple steps and throw all my body weight into it to make it go anywhere.

At Fiumicino I took it to baggage storage where, for a mere 6 euros a day, it is out of sight and out of mind. The baggage storage guys were stunned. "Merda! How much piomba (lead) is in here!?". I told them I would be quite happy to never see it again, except for the fact that everything I own is in there.

Once back on the train bertween the airport and Roma Termini, I had a stroke of genius... moved all the heavy stuff into my rolling bag, and the light stuff (ie. clothing) into my shoulder bags. (Better late than never, right?). With that done, I was finally able to think about the fact that I'm headed to Palermo! How exciting!

In Rome, I dragged all my crap through the streets for several hours trying to find a place to recharge my SIM card. Long story short, it was an infuriating, unsuccessful mission, and I gave up and went for a late Indian lunch. And dragging a rolling bag through the uneven, cobblestone sidewalks of Rome is enough to make one suicidal. So now I'm going to go sit in the lovely train station (that was sarcasm) and read my book until my train comes at 9:30 pm at which point I'm going to lug all my crap onto one last train, pop a gravol (or 50) and nod off to sleep until I am south.

Ciao tutti.

No comments:

Post a Comment