Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July in Italy... Things Get Rough

.... I don't mean rough as in bad. Just, every day gets a little bit hotter, a little bit rougher.

Heat is getting to be excessive. Can't think enough to form full sentences. Remainder of post will be in point form. Sorry for lack of organization of ideas.

-Today is going to get to 37˚C. (which means that by tonight, our apartment will be about 50˚C)

-Only place with A/C for miles around is the office. At least this means I spend lots of time working on my essays.

-Last night was battle with fridge. It wouldn't close so we were tying it shut with ethernet cables. Then I figured out that it was because 2 inches of ice had formed around the "freezer" portion (note the quotes around "freezer"). I smashed away all the ice with a glass bottle (possibly dangerous, but hey, so is rotten food). Fridge closes again.

-Yesterday morning I had a tour. It started out with one American girl and 3 British ladies. They were a hoot. We were having fun. Until... the 5 French/Belgian people who were also supposed to be on my tour showed up 1 hour late. Katie brought them to join my group. One Belgian lady had a panic attack inside one of the art works. A full-on panic attack. Also, 8 minutes after they joined the tour, the other Belgian lady said to me "I will leave now. I am tired." to which I had to respond "no you will not leave now. I am sorry". One of the Belgian men insisted on guessing each artist before I had a chance to start explaining the art work. Then, when I said "no, actually, it's not that artist, its this other artist" he would insist I was wrong. "No. I'm certain it's so-and-so!"

-Yesterday was also lunch with Alan Sonfist (artist who has done work here and elsewhere) and his lady friend. The work he did here is a series of concentric circles telling the story of Tuscany (see here). He talked about his latest project which is a giant celtic snake in a figure eight. Snake is made of moss over raised earth and covers 1 acre of land. In the holes of the figure eight, Sonfist is going to put "ancient microbes" in the soil, and eventually an "ancient forest" will grow from this soil. There's a problem though... the duke for whom Sonfist is making this work is afraid that the art will interfere with his sheep grazing.

-Some artists very much enjoy talking about their work and are very self-confident.

-Some artists have lady friends who get very suspicious and irrationally jealous (poor Katie had to experience this).

-What is with Italian bugs?

And now for some pictures...

Gorgonzola gelato. No I didn't try it, but yes I plan to at some point.

New bar in Florence

Katie tying the fridge shut with an ethernet cable.

No comments:

Post a Comment