Saturday, July 30, 2011

Harry Potter in Italiano



Yesterday after work I went into Florence to get some food (mmmm O'Vesuvio pizza). Then it was rainy and dreary, so I decided to go see a film, alone, for the first time ever. (I also figured I should go see a film since I've been watching TV and movies and listening to music in English all summer, and I've admittedly missed out on some language learning opportunities). The best option was Harry Potter e I Doni Della Morte Parte Due (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two) so 5 euros later I had my ticket and was entering the theatre.

The theatre had assigned seating... My ticket said H9. Unfortunately, H8 was occupied by the only other person in the theatre... some old guy seeing the movie on his own (pfft... what a loser...). So instead I opted to sit at the back. I'm such a rebel... fortunately attendance was minimal and no one yelled at me.

The theatre had 2 features I think needed to be adopted in north american theatres:

1) Bathrooms were right at the back of the theatre. No need to go out in a hallway and get lost. In and out. Done.

2) INTERMISSION! Just 5 minutes. Every theatre I've ever been to in Europe has intermission, and I strongly believe it is essential. After my 8 litres of diet coke, right when the plot is climaxing, I'm really going to have to go. It's very logical that I should get a couple minutes to run to the loo without having to miss any of the film.

I was extremely proud of myself for understanding prettymuch the entire film! I was expecting to get bored and tired and not understand it all, but I was happily surprised by my own Italian skills!

Now I'm all packed up and ready to leave Celle in one hour. In a few minutes I'm going to go pass out thank you cards to my hosts and the housekeepers.

I am dreading the next 36 hours. Tonight Miranda and I are going to drag my deadweight suitcase to her car and then to her home (don't worry mom and dad.. I'll figure out some way to get all my stuff on the airplane. That's still 3 weeks away. I'll figure something out).  So ya, I'm going to spend the night at Miranda's, and then in the morning get a ride to the Prato train station, at which point I, my ridiculous suitcase, and several other large heavy bags are going to travel:

-From Prato to Florence
-From Florence to Roma Termini
-From Roma Termini to the Rome Airport

...at that point my suitcase will be abandoned in luggage storage for a reasonable 6 euros per day. Then my other bags and I are going back to Roma Termini, where we will hop on a nighttime train at 9pm bound for Palermo. I will have a bed in a women-only car, and the train ride is an estimated 13 hours. Should be an interesting experience.

Will write from Palermo!

Ally

PS if any other interns are reading this, I'd love to know if any of you also get insulted now when someone refers to you as a "tourist" or asks "how long are you on vacation for?". I get completely indignant and snap back "I am NOT a tourist. I WORK here"...

No comments:

Post a Comment