Thursday, June 23, 2011

YIIP Questions

I was just looking through the York International Internship Program Blog (basically the centralized starting point for all of the interns' blogs) and I saw that they people at YIIP posed some new questions to us, which I will attempt to answer here:

1) What are some of the big differences you are noticing between Canada and your host country?

Well for one thing, the day plays out much differently. A huge emphasis is placed on lunch (during which ALL stores and restaurants close), and quite often a nap after lunch. Then the day resumes at 3pm or so, and carries on until 11pm, midnight, or later. We regularly hear children out playing past 11pm on weeknights! The approach to children is different here too. Parents seem less strict, and children are generally allowed to run around and be little hellions even at fancy restaurants, at airports, etc. And of course there are the males... very pushy. A message to all you shy, awkward Canadian boys... Never change!

Fashion is different here too. A lot of things most Canadians would never be caught dead in are totally alright here. Like fanny packs. And rhinestoned sequined cartoon character t-shirts. And man-pris. And parachute pants. And girls wearing knee-high leather cowboy-style boots with shorts when it's upwards of 35˚C out. Oh, and guys shaving their legs before the beach. Oh, and women not shaving at all.

2) For those of you in countries where smoking is allowed in the office, restaurants, everywhere, does it seem odd to you?

Not really... I've done enough travelling around Europe and other countries where smoking is more permitted than it is in Canada. It's just sort of a cultural thing like their coffee-drinking habits, or their preference for fizzy water vs. flat water.

3) Are you treated differently / given special treatment because you are North American or Canadian?

Yes. Stared at on the bus. Ogled in the streets. I'm assuming it's because of my pasty white skin and my obvious non-Italian fashion sense? Visitors to the collection always tell me I need to get a tan (to which I respond "this IS my tan! I'm off-white instead of eggshell!"). Italians also constantly make fun of the way I pronounce some things and the way I roll my Rrrr's. But it's not like I get hugely different treatment. The fact that I speak decent Italian puts me one step above the tourists. And as soon as locals hear where I'm working, they are rather impressed.

4) Do you feel more at home now in your host country or do you still feel like a visitor?

I feel very much at home! Katie and I were talking about it the other day, and we both feel like, rather than gradually getting homesick, we're just feeling more and more comfortable being here. We know the bus schedule, we know the train system, we have our favourite stores and regular restaurants and bars. We have friends here and know some of the locals. I'm at the point where I can't get into a taxi in Pistoia without the driver remembering me from another time.

5) Have you had any cravings since you have been abroad? Has it been easy to satisfy those cravings?

YES, and NO! I'm desperately craving chicken wings, Strongbow cider, and Indian food. The wings have been the hardest to find. When I went to Rome on June 3rd, I found an Irish pub that served chicken wings and I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. And they weren't even that good! A message to all my friends: August 18th, the day after I get back, we are going to Beaver and Bulldog. Pen it in.

That Irish pub also had Magners Cider, which was great to have after having nothing but wine for a month. As for the Indian food, there are some Indian restaurants around... one in Pistoia and a couple in Florence. I've made three attempts now to get to ones in Florence, but my timing is always horrendous... I show up just after they've stopped lunch service. Tomorrow I'm going to Florence after work JUST to get to Indian food. I am not making any other plans. I am getting Indian food. Maybe I'll see the Boboli and/or Bardini gardens. But not if it interferes with Indian food. If I have room after Indian food, maybe I'll get a cannoli. Or maybe I'll just get more naan, roll it in a tube, and fill it with some saag paneer.

I don't know if this counts as a craving, but I'm also desperately missing my puppy Cornelius (see pictures below). My mom's keeping me supplied with photos though, and hopefully this week she'll figure out Skype so I can Skype with him (I've done it before... it's adorable how confused he gets by my sudden 2-dimensionality. "Ally! Whatcha doin' in that flat box?!")

6) Have you splurged on anything since you have been abroad?

I've been pretty good compared to how I usually spend, but my trip to croatia was a bit of a splurge. The flight wasn't super cheap, but it was definitely worth it! Croatia was incredible! I splurged a bit in Croatia too... I think I spent more money in my first hour in Split than I did in my first month in Italy. Got myself a nice little pink leather diesel wallet, some ceramic salt and pepper shakers (they're two sailors and they sit in a little ceramic rowboat), a fridge magnet, a leather studded bracelet... The other day I splurged a bit on myself was my birthday in Florence. I got myself a really funky magenta leather studded belt from a great store called Fornerina, some jewelry from a cute store near the station, a dress from H&M, a top from OVS... So long story short, I've splurged a bit on clothes and jewelry, but considering it was only twice in 2 months, I guess it's not that bad. Otherwise, all my money is going towards travelling (which I'm trying to do a lot of, but inexpensively) and food (I was raised to appreciate a good meal. I've been appreciating many). Oh, and I also splurged on a mani-pedi the other day as well as a pedi in Croatia, but it could be argue that the pedicures were 100% necessary... after a couple days on the job here at Celle, with all the walking around, my feet look like veritable mangled ogre feet. Yuck.

7) Is there anything you have abroad that you wish Canada had?

Five litre jugs of wine for 5 euros ($7). And a chocolate shop at the foot of my driveway. And lemon trees outside my apartment with fresh lemons whenever I want them.

8) Are you addressed with new terms of respect?

In Italian, the formal way to address someone (the formal way of saying "you") is to say "Lei", which means "she". So regardless of whether you are speaking to a man or woman to whom you need to speak formally, you use "Lei". For example, if you are saying "you are very kind", you say "Lei รจ molto gentile" which translates to "She is very kind". It's very confusing. It's even more confusing when people on my tours address me this way, especially since they're usually older than me! It's sort of neat how this position (tour guide of a very famous art collection) accords me a higher status of sorts.

The wings and Magners I got in Rome
Cornelius on his throne
Cornelius messing up the garden

Cornelius playing with a giant bumble bee

5L 5-euro wine

1 comment:

  1. Alexandra, thanks for answering all the questions! I like how the average italian day goes. The lemon trees and chocolate shops at the foot of your driveway are definately two things I would love Canada to adopt! Hope the indian food was amazing!

    All the best,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete